Wednesday, July 11, 2007

RBC

The church building I grew up is being sold within the next couple of weeks and I am surprised at how sad this has made me. This is a place a spent a significant amount of time for 19 years of my life. So much of who I am is because of this place and the people that came in and out of my life while we were there. I know church is not about a building, but when you can look at a place or think of a place and so much emotion rushes you...it feels like an important part.

My mom and dad started attending this church when I was 3 I think. Basically, it was all I ever knew.

It was the place where:

- I went to VBS for the first time and then every year after that.
- I was able to be a part of GA's and thought I was so grown up and cool.
- I would leave Sunday morning service with a friend and spend the afternoon with her and then come back to church with them that night. The fun you could have in those few hours was hard to come by any other time.
- I was able to go to the youth house when I became a 7th grader and the feeling of being able to walk across the street and into that house with all the youth was amazing.
- I was introduced to Centrifuge and youth camp and lock-ins.
- I felt the sadness of a youth minister leaving and then another and yet another.
- I felt the pride when my mom stepped up and agreed to teach the college class.
- I spent most of my summers either working at Camp Mack or just hanging out with my friends.

It was also the place where:

- I heard Jesus call my name when I was 9 and I stepped out of the aisle and walked down all by myself.
- I stood in the baptistry and heard my pastor ask me if I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior and I said yes.
- I learned what it means to be loved by people all most as much as your parents love you.
- My mom and I could feel safe when times were hard.
- I sat with my friend during her Mother's Home Going.
- I learned what it means to have a pastor who loves you like his own and want the absolute best for you.
- I cried my eyes out when he went to be with the Lord.
- I wish I could go back and it be like it use to be.

Just to be able to walk in those doors one more time and have Bro. Paul greet and hug me and be able to hug Mrs. Cry and go off to my class with all my friends and sit in the center section of the sanctuary with all the other youth. That is what I would like to do. It's not about the building - it's about the memories and the thankfulness of having the heritage where going to this place Sunday mornings, Sunday nights and Wednesday nights is going to be without a doubt one of the most important things I remember - EVER!

2 comments:

clay's said...

Rachel,
I know exactly how you feel. Leaving Radnor was a very emotional time, and we do have so many wonderful memories. THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES FOR ME WAS YOU AND UNCLE ANDY ACCEPTING CHRIST AND BEING BAPTIZED. I will never forget the day you walked down that aisle...you were sitting with Betsy and Ronnie. We spent lots of time and worked hard at Radnor and we are better people for it. It does make me sad to see what is happening, but maybe this will be a new birth for what Bro. Paul built. You were 3 when we started going there, and yes it is your heritage. You are an amazing young woman, and I am so proud of you. Let's remember the wonderful things about Radnor and pray for it's future. I love you. Mom

Sandra said...

Your post made me tear up. The feelings are mutual for me in almost every point you mentioned...that building holds more of my heritage and life than my old house did. Be assured, my friend, you aren't alone in your feelings.

S-