Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Great Adventure

On the way home tonight I heard a song that took me back to Youth Group at Radnor Baptist Church. The song..."The Great Adventure" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I first heard this song at Centrifuge (a weeklong Baptist church camp that totally rocked my world). But the song makes me think of so many more things than just that. I guess more than anything it makes me so thankful for the times I had a church. It was never a question in my house whether we were going to church on Sunday mornings - we just went. And being southern baptist we went Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night (even for Wednesday night supper). The great thing was...I never wanted to be anywhere else. The majority of my friends were there and we had a good time. During the summer that is where we ended up. Just hanging out. Now, don't get me wrong, we had drama - some serious drama actually, but I wouldn't change a moment of those times. Times like not being able to wait to be old enough to get to go to Sunday School in the "youth house". I think I was in there for one year and then it was condemed. It was really cool to me though. Hosting the youth rally and really feeling the Holy Spirit move for the first time in my life. Having lock ins and then sleeping all day on Saturday. Going to the wave pool for church night. Going on visitation - honestly, what is that???? I just loved it. So driving home tonight for a moment I was back there. To that time in my life where I didn't want to be anywhere else and I didn't know anything else than that. Was I sheltered - no just lucky!! By the way - my first concert was Steven Curtis Chapman and we were on the front row!!!! Back then I just loved singing to the top of my lungs "Saddle up your horses, we've got a trail to blaze." Tonight as I was singing at the top of my lungs, it was so much more... "Let's follow our Leader into the Glorious unknown - this is a life like no other....THIS is the Great Adventure."

1 comments:

Sandra said...

Reading your blog took me right back to that place with you. It's a time in my life where I'd also not change anything even though some of the times were tough. I think of those times and realize they make up the very fabric of who I am. I remember the SCC concert where we were on the front row. I'm glad you were in my most happiest memories.